L' Shana Tova

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Warning: This blog entry contains material of an adult nature. Reader discretion is advised.

“Break me down, you got a lovely face
We're going to your place
And now you got to freak me out
Scream so loud, getting fuckin' laid
You want me to stay, but I got to make my way
Hey
You're crazy bitch
But you fuck so good, I'm on top of it
When I dream, I'm doing you all night
Scratches all down my back to keep me right on”

-lyrics to song “Crazy Bitch” by Buckcherry (2006)

According to Wikipedia (my reference bible, of course!), “Crazy Bitch" is the sixth single by Los Angeles hard rock band Buckcherry, and first from their third album, 15, and first to hit the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States, debuting at #99 on May 6, 2006 and peaking at #59. This song was inspired by Paris Hilton's use of a sex tape to rocket herself to stardom and the band's own past with those they deemed "crazy bitches". It received a nomination for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 49th annual Grammy Awards. It is by far Buckcherry's best-selling single to date.” It has been covered by the Phil Lewis version of L.A. Guns. The site goes on to say, “The original music video was filmed at the Key Club in Los Angeles, which was made to look like a strip club. An open casting call (documented in a video on the band's site called "Behind the Bitch") was held, recruiting dancers and strippers for the low-budget video, which was directed by Ulf Buddensieck. The video exists in two versions: one X-rated, and the other a "clean" version that has been aired on Fuse TV. The "clean" version, however, was not approved by MTV, who demanded more than 80 cuts, according to the July 13, 2006 issue of Rolling Stone.”

It also seems there was a law suit saying that the band allowed an underage girl to participate in the filming of sexually explicit scenes (“According to The Pulse of Radio, BUCKCHERRY has settled a lawsuit filed in 2006 by the mother of a teenage girl who appeared topless in the "unrated" version of the video for the band's single "Crazy Bitch". The suit claimed that the girl, who was 16 years old at the time, was "coerced" into drinking alcohol and taking off her clothes during the shoot, while the band argued that the girl had provided fake proof of age. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.” – www.blabbermouth.net, 2/22/2008). Wikipedia indicates there was a popular fan video put out on YouTube that replaced the one the band had to withdraw due once they discovered they underage youth (for the official Atlantic records video, see below).

I’ll comment on neither the lawsuit nor the explicitness of the lyrics and accompanying videos, although both peeked my interest initially (I am an American after all). I am noting that it is about time that men were more explicit about their desire for “drama queens” as woman are constantly reminded of their relentless hook ups with “bad boys”. The difference is the gals who partner with these undesirables are later seen as disposal sluts while their male counterparts are just left with the temporary label of gullible, which can be redeemed at a later date. Sexism is remains alive and well, boys and girls.

I can’t stand in judgment of these folks. All of us have swum in the waters of that sexual excitement (or wished we had). I think I’ve had my fair share of the fun, much to the chagrin of my family and friends (although I still enjoy the memories-easy to do from the comfort of a stable, good relationship). But I do bemoan when children are involved or communities get suck into the drama. The kids don’t need the instability and the society doesn’t need the calls to 9-1-1 for the inevitably resulting charges of domestic violence. Both cost us all money and bother. So, please folks, when you need to have these flings with edges of life get some insertable, semi-permanent birth control and do your fighting somewhere out in the woods or desert where no one can hear your screams.

No comments:

Chad Kroeger's "Hero"

Jewish w/a British Accent - How Cool is That?

From Another Jewish Mother